Concussion Awareness & Management Certification for Coaches and Trainers
The Concussion Management and Awareness Act, specifically Chapter 496 of the Laws of 2011, requires the Commissioner of Education, in conjunction with the Commissioner of Health, to promulgate rules and regulations related to students who sustain a concussion. The law also requires that school coaches, physical education teachers, nurses, and certified athletic trainers complete New York State Education Department (NYSED) approved courses on concussions and concussion management every two years.
CMNY is conducting the NYSED concussion management certification. The same course offered to the Athletic Trainer program at Long Island University is now offered to school coaches as required by law in 2012.
This course is comprehensive but brief. It includes all the required review of the procedures, baseline testing information, and concussion management procedures.
This mandatory course for all schools will prepare you for:
- Properly identifying a concussion in and out of the field
- Basic understanding of the related anatomy of a concussion
- Signs and symptoms of a concussion
- On the field evaluation, and appropriate responses
- Understanding baseline testing
- Audio/visual case scenarios
- Prevention strategies
- How to develop a policy for your school
There will be a quiz and all certificates will be mailed next day.
Call today to schedule certification in your school: 212 717 8331